Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Food Organization Tip - "Fast Food"

This is a really good day at my house when I can open my refrigerator and the top shelf looks like this. It is not all of the time, but when it is like this, it makes my life easier.



I had the idea impressed upon me to make my own "Fast Food", since we (like everyone else) are always so busy.

So, I try to buy fresh fruits and vegetables and get them all ready in clear, serving size containers. I usually try to buy things cut up and ready to go to save some time. Other things that I make ahead can be salads, rice, chicken etc. It makes packing lunches, getting snacks or making meals easier and healthier when I do it.

I bought the containers at Smart and Final. (On the corner of St. Rose Parkway and Eastern) To save you some time in the store; Isle 6 / 8 oz. are 6.29 for 50 dishes and 5.99 for 50 lids -- dishes and lids are sold separately. They are dishwasher safe, so I reuse them all the time. They have all different sizes, but I use the small ones the most. They are clear so everyone can see what is inside. I also make sure that everything goes on one shelf. That way everyone knows where to look for the snacks.

It was a thought that helped me a lot. My "Fast Food" shelf makes me a happy camper when it is stocked and ready to go. You can click on the picture to enlarge it, if you want to get some ideas for your own use.

No comments: